Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Air Evacuation Training



Since joining the fire department, I have had the opportunity to do some interesting training. On this day, the Air Evacuation team flew to our station to do some training. They taught us how to scope our scenes in order to help them find the safest landing zones and much more. Monday night we are all going to a seminar on storm spotting. I am registered to take two 8 hour training sessions this month. The first one is called mass causality incident triage and the second one is fatality management during a pandemic and other emergency events. I thoroughly enjoy working with the fire department. I am glad they provide this kind of training, but I hope we never have to use it. In last night's training, we were given information on what to do if a satellite re-entered the earth's atmosphere. There is a portion of a satellite which is full of fuel that might be re-entering our atmosphere in the next couple of weeks and it could be anywhere in the world but they have to let all first responders know about it so we know what to do under such circumstances.

6 comments:

Tiara said...

Hmmm....very interesting. I remember reading something about that satellite recently on some science site I think.

I'm glad you are enjoying your training. I've always found things like that fascinating as well. At one time I wanted to work for the CDC...but decided I'd never make it through medical school...I don't dissect things. LOL

Tammy said...

Interesting training coming your way!! Hope that you will never have to use any of it , but great that you will be prepared. Jen, I am so proud of you for widening your horizons!

Song of the South said...

Ommmm....Jennifer, you keep us updated on the satelite thing OK? I will rest a little better knowing that in the event of a disaster you will be on the job. You are such a brave woman. Keep making us proud! Love, Cammy

Anonymous said...

Satellites falling from the sky. Coooool. They maybe carrying some virus that will turn people into zombies and then we'll have to fight for our lives and and... well that's certainly an enjoyable thought.

Did you say two eight hours of training *yawn* sounds like a snoozer

Sandy said...

'Satellite' Sure....OK, I'm just gonna come out and say it....How do we know they are reeeally satellites? What if they are really aliens, coming to take over our world, coming to suck out our brains, coming to make us their slaves???? R U sure that 8 hours of training is going to help us in a situation like that? Maybe we need to dig holes into the earth and hide there until your rescue team can come to notify us that it's okay...but wait...what if they can read your mind and find our hiding place and when they show up, we think it's you and we come out and they attack us....AHHHHHH help! did you get any training to tell us what to do in that situation? Huh? Huh?

Nikki said...

Yea, I'm liking the alien carrying a virus theory. Pretty cool stuff. Training sessions are so boring but they are a must. That's what I've been doing all week. They called a code on my floor while I was in training. I was thankful that I was still in group training so I didn't have to go. Though it would have been totally cool to jump in there. Also, I'm excellent at getting blood out of fake arms. I'm ready to start sticking real people. YAY!! OK, have fun and pay attention to the teachers.